ECTSThe University of Alcalá uses the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). ECTS is a standard for comparing the study attainment and performance of students of higher education across the European Union and other collaborating European countries. For successfully completed studies, ECTS credits are awarded.

One academic year corresponds to 60 ECTS-credits that are equivalent to 1,500-1,800 hours of study in all countries irrespective of standard or qualification type and is used to facilitate transfer and progression throughout the European Union. Accordingly, 1 ECTS credit equals 25-30 hours of study.

The University of Alcalá stipulates that 1 ECTS credit awarded is equivalent to 25 hours of study. Please note that ECTS is a system for measuring and comparing the study attainment and performance of students based on workload, not on contact hours.

Credits are awarded only when the course has been completed, all requirements have been fulfilled, and examinations have been passed successfully. 

Credit Transfer

Every student receives a University of Alcalá transcript in order to facilitate credit transfer. The academic transcript lists all courses, the ECTS credits earned, and the final grade. The University of Alcalá issues the transcript 4 weeks after the completion of the program.

It should be noted that each institution has its own policy regarding credit transfer from other institutions. We strongly recommend that students consult with their academic advisor and/or professor to receive credit transfer approval prior to enrolling in any of our Summer or Winters Schools Programmes. On this website students will find the following course information:

1.-   course description
2.-   course syllabus
3.-   course requirements
4.-   student profile
5.-   CV of the professor

Students who would like to receive transfer credits at their home university should contact their professor and/or study abroad advisor and ask for prior credit and grade approval.

In case there are any further questions, please contact the School at